Music and Reviews from Clare, Limerick, Waterford and sometimes further afield

Monday, July 27, 2015

Andy Irvine at Waterford Folk Club

Impressario Garry Walsh with Irvine's string arsenal
Song in 5/8
Spirit of Mother Jones

Wreck of the Dandenol
Lillebjorn Nillson
Only a Miner
O Donoghues Song 
Bonnywood Hall
Folk Song
Sweeneys Men Song 
Sweet County Clare

3 Huntsmen Mick Hanley

As I roved out ( Brigid Tunney)
Death of Ben Hall
Empty Handed Greek author Pappageris
Song about Frank Ryan Spanish Civil War
The Rangers Command
Farewell to Kellswater
Encore 


'I am delighted to be here . This is exactly like a folk club' said Andy Irvine  in the atic room of The Cove Bar, at the recently launched Waterford Folk Club last week. The bazouki balladeer extraordinaire appeared in his element in the intimate venue, more conducive to his style  than the black box theatre and bar room venue in which  I had previously heard him. My report  on his Glor gig in Ennis is here http://cathydesmond.blogspot.ie/2010/12/andy-irvine-at-glor.html Accompanying himself on assorted strings and harmonica we heard a selection of songs from swashbuckling ballads. homages to political heroes and whimsical biographical songs. The selection was peppered with reminiscence and observations drawn from his five decades in the business since he crossed the rubicon that divided the beery thespian worlds of Nery's and folkie O Donoghue's.

 He has had an amazing long lived career with so many collaborations  and there was no sense that he is flagging yet. There were new songs mixed with the old in the repertoire.  I had a lovely chat with Irvine after the gig. He tells me he will at some point take a couple of months off the road and write his memoir. In the meantime his notes on his unusual journey and many collaborations  make interesting reading and are on his website http://www.andyirvine.com/bio/bio-10.html

'I'm still learning, still enjoying myself and when people sometimes say to me ''Jaysus, it's well for you''.
I smile and nod my head.
Because they're dead right.
It is.'





Next guest at Waterford Folk and Roots Club Club is Buddy Mondlock August 26th




I had a chat with John Buckley about forthcoming events he is promoting


No comments:

Post a Comment